Questions and Comments about Train Travel in Thailand

If you have any questions about train journeys in Thailand, like how to buy tickets and how can you join a steam train trip, then please post in the comments below. You can also use this page to post general comments or questions about my train trips. It would also be useful for others if you can post your own tips and highlights of any trips. Thanks.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

How do I buy a train ticket in Thailand?
You can buy tickets at any train station in Thailand. It doesn’t have to be the one you are travelling from or to. You can also reserve tickets by calling the hotline 1690 but you have to go and pay within 24 hours. SRT now have an online booking site but it is limited. You can also try 12go.asia for some routes.
Can you take a train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai?
There are daily trains between the capital and Bangkok. It takes about 11-14 hours. Most people take the overnight sleeper which arrives in the morning. This saves money on a hotel. But, these days, budget airlines can often fly you cheaper than a sleeper train.

Scroll down to post your own comments or questions.

9 comments

1. Rumel says:

Hi Richard,
    I am Rumel.
    I am confused.
    From Airport, How many trains or stops before I get to Bangkok City?
    From the airport train, do I have to transfer to another train?
    i am a first time and will visit BKK on 2021

thanks

2. Chris says:

Always interesting your reports. About of the Excursion Train to Sai Yok Noi Waterfall in Kanchanaburi. I notice that the train leaves relatively early. From Sukhumvit, when the BTS opens at 6 a.m., is there a regular bus line that has a stop near Hua Lamphong station?

3. Fah Rangcat says:

I won’t ride the 3rd Class trains anymore. Too much dust gets blown in and I end up filthy afterwards. If it’s not an a/c compartment I’m not doing it now.

4. Diedy Huizenga says:

We like to travel 3rd class on shorter trips as well. Around 4 hours is my max though! Nice to see you in the pictures now and again, Richard, and thank you for the inspiration.

5. Sharif Ahmad Shabbir says:

I travelled Bangkok-Chiang Mai-Bangkok by train in 3rd class for 16+15 hours overnight journey back in 2014 during Songkran. Was quite an experience which I can still remember vividly.

6. Henry Musa says:

I once did it from Bangkok to Phitsanulok and was seated next to a monk who I conversed with for the whole 8-hour journey. Definitely an experience I won’t forget

7. Marg Lewis says:

My first ever trip to Thailand I took a train from Bankok to Chiang Mai leaving at 8am, 13 hours and not too comfortable but the scenery was fantastic. It was a great way to see the countryside and villages along the way, very memorable!!